Village Code Enforcement
Tuesday’s & Wednesday’s
8:30 am – 4:00 pm
And by appointments if needed.
The Code Enforcement Office coordinates the following
- Building Permits
- Applications for Variances and Special Permits
- Construction Inspections
- Zoning inspections
- Fire safety inspections
- Certificates of Occupancy
VILLAGE OF MEXICO
GUIDE FOR REQUIRED BUILDING PERMITS:
1. Windows & Doors-replace existing or install additional.
2. Repair of fire and/or water damage.
3. Wall sheathing and/or framing –replace or repair existing
4. Roof/Shingle Replacement. e. Any exterior change in Historical Areas in a house over 100 years old-repair or replace existing.
5. Addition or enlargement of home-construction garage, room(s),
6. Deck & Porch-addition, replacement and repair existing
7. Repair or replacement of steps with more than 3 risers
8. Swimming pool & hot tubs, etc. in and above ground – new
installation, repair existing, replace existing or demolish
9. Shed with floor area greater than 100 square feet-new installation and
replace or repair existing.
10. Retaining wall: install, replace or repair over 2’0” in height. (Contact
the Building Department for Clarification)
11. Satellite dish antennas over 1 meter 39.37 Sec 8.14C.
12. Some Fences & Free-Standing Walls (Contact the Building
Department for Clarification)
13. Changes in grade of property over 2’0” in height.
14. Basement entrances, BILCO style doors, & Basement Egress
15. Temporary tent structures. (PARTY TENTS)
16. Solar Panel installation and removal
17. Demolition of any structure
18. Emergency Standby Generators
19. Temporary Storage Containers/ Pods
20. Removing Trees in Critical Environmental Areas or any property
capable of being subdivided. (Contact the Building Department for
21. New Homes & Buildings
22. Fireplaces & Chimney
23. Installation/removal Oil & Gas Heating Units and Tanks
24. Tennis Courts
25. Renewal of a Single-Family Conversion
1. Repair of fire and/or water damage
2. Sheetrock and insulation removal/installation and replacement
3. Framing-installation and change/removal of bearing walls/columns.
4. Kitchen and bathroom renovation, installation & changes.
5. Heating, air conditioning, plumbing, electrical installation: changes to
equipment, installation, and/or replacement.
6. Room CHANGE OF USE: EXAMPLES, CONVERTING A
GARAGE TO BEDROOM, RECREATION TO BEDROOM OR
OTHER LIVING SPACE. (Uninhabitable space to habitable space
7. Finish basement-recreation rooms, laundry room.
8. Home Occupation Uses-Offices.
9. Fire Sprinkler Systems.
10. Owner-Occupied Two-Family Conversions.
11. Stairs-3 risers or more.
NON-RESIDENTIAL / COMMERCIAL / MULTI-FAMILY
1. Every type of construction, installation, alteration, modification or
replacement in connection with non-residential / commercial / multi- family (3 or more units) building or uses requires a Building Permit.
2. ALL NEW OCCUPANCIES OF EXISTING AND NEW SPACES AND
BUILDINGS BY NEW OWNER AND/OR TENANT
THE WORK COVERED BY A BUILDING PERMIT MUST BE INSPECTED AND
APPROVED CULMINATING IN THE ISSUANCE OF A CERTIFICATE OF
OCCUPANCY FOR A SPECIFIC PROJECT. WITHOUT A CERTIFICATE OF
OCCUPANCY, OCCUPANCY AND/OR USE OF A STRUCTURE OR SPACE IS A
VIOLATION OF VILLAGE CODE AND NEW YORK STATE CODE AND VIOLATIONS
WILL BE ISSUED AND FINES MAYBE INCURRED
TYPICAL PROJECTS THAT REQUIRE A BUILDING PERMIT AND CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY (CO)
• New commercial buildings
• Change of ownership or tenant in a commercial establishment (new business or taking over old business.)
• New homes & buildings
• New Additions, Interior Alterations and Renovations
• Demolition of Structures
• Fireplaces & chimneys
• Above & below ground swimming pools
• Oil & gas heating units and tanks
• Tennis courts
• Retaining walls
• Some fences & free-standing walls (speak to an inspector for details)
• Hot tubs
• Tool sheds (All Commercial Districts and Sheds > 100 square feet in Residential Districts)
• Renewal of a single-family conversion
• Tree removal in critical environmental areas and lots capable of being subdivided
• Standby backup generators
Village of Mexico Zoning Law and Map links below: